TITLE: General Manager, London 2018 Ontario Summer Games
LOCATION: London, ON
CONTRACT TERM: Until September 1st, 2018
SALARY: $75,000 over the contract duration
The London 2018 Ontario Summer Games Host Organizing Committee is looking to fill the position of General Manager, London 2018 Ontario Summer Games.
From August 2nd to August 5th 2018, up to 3500 of the province’s top youth athletes, along with coaches and officials will descend on London to compete at the 2018 Ontario Summer Games, featuring 21 different sports being played in across the city.
The General Manager, London 2018 Ontario Summer Games will lead all aspects in the planning of the 2018 Ontario Summer Games strategy and delivery of the 2018 Ontario Summer Games with the support and direction of the Games Chairperson, Games Organizing Committee, Tourism London, City of London, and the Ministry of Tourism, Culture, and Sport.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful incumbent will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Responsible for timely, on-budget event coordination and delivery.
- Engagement and relationship building with various community partners and stakeholders.
- Directs work of the Games Organizing Committee and Games Chairperson.
- Create the work plan and liaise with stakeholders such as the Games Chairperson, City staff and Games Organizing Committees.
- Management of games operations, including liaison with accommodations services, transportation services, sport competition and venues, food suppliers and the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport.
- Development and oversight of protocol, special events and opening ceremonies.
- Provide assistance with recording expenditures, preparing tenders, monitoring the budget in cooperation with the Financial Chairperson, Games Chairperson, and the Ministry Games Consultant.
- Ensure the annual operating and performance objectives are met through ongoing monitoring and communications and adjust as required.
- Ensure that the effective and efficient delivery of all GOC services and business operations, in accordance with the bid document and the grant agreement.
- Work with Fundraising and Sponsorship Chairperson to generate Games financial partners.
- Recommend communication strategies to engage the community and build awareness of the Games.
- Manage the administrative office and oversee administrative duties.
- Provide oversight and coordination of hospitality, awards and protocol needs for the Games.
- Management of Athletes registration and accreditation system and recording and posting of results.
- Management of games-time Operations Centre.
- Accountable for adhering to set timelines.
- Assist with promotions, media and marketing endeavors to develop an overall strategy for the Games and create a positive image for the Ontario Summer Games in the community.
- Initiate partnerships with community organizations and sport groups to develop pre and post Games activities.
- Cooperatively develop, with the Sport Technical Chairperson, a plan for the delivery of the sport components of the Games. Liaise with the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport to ensure that the competition needs are met.
- Preparation of reports as required, including a final report to be completed by the conclusion of the contract.
- Develops and administers assigned budget, ensuring that expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations and that revenue targets are met through all sources including and not limited to ticket sales, registration fees and sponsorship.
- Coordinates Games Legacy Plan with all partners.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Post-secondary diploma/degree in sport management, recreation or a related field is preferred.
- Minimum 5 years in a sport event management environment including experience in past multi-sport Games.
- Knowledge of Games planning and delivery demonstrated through hands on experience in large scale multi-sport events.
- Knowledge of the amateur sport system demonstrated through direct working experience with provincial or national sport and or multi-sport organizations.
- Availability to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Experience in working with volunteer committees including volunteer recruitment, training, and supervising.
- Advanced project planning and management skills.
- Demonstrated experience in large scale budget planning and management.
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with multiple and conflicting priorities
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills utilizing the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- The successful applicant must be available July 30th – August 5th, 2018.
Interested applicants are asked to submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 17, 2017. We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
*Please note, this is not a position with Tourism London or the City of London.